HABITS THAT WILL DRIVE YOU NUTS

I'm thinking of my next steps on the path to becoming better. It will be easier to fix my behaviour if I break it down into small elements and then fix each of them individually. Divide et impera, so to say.


From my recent observations here is the Mind-cracking Threefold of Bad Behavioural Habits I have:

1. Do not trust that anyone else can perform any task as well or as quickly as you do
2. Watch them do it and correct them with your 'useful' comments along the way
3. When it's done, give immediate critical feedback because it can always be better

To top it up:

4. Expect people to anticipate your wishes
5. When there is a risk of dropping, breaking or knocking something over - make sure you remind them about it verbally and non verbally at every possibility.

Now that the elephant in the room is in our view, we can deconstruct further. 

Those, as I said, are bad habits. Every habit has three parts: trigger + routine  + reward. The routine is listed above. It was formed by being subjected to it consistently over the course of 17 years. Ever since I left home, the tendency of replicating it is weaker and weaker. Although to some of our readers, it might still seem very strong.

The trigger and the reward though are trickier to identify as it is deeply psychological. And describing what is visible to the eye will be very superficial. Therefore it requires further thinking.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment