TRUE LEADERSHIP IS ABOUT DUTY AND HONOUR

On my path to becoming better, I’m doing Stanford LEAD classes with my friend. Today we watched a video by professor William P. Barnett. Some of the things he said really got to me. 


Turns out despite what I see around me, leadership is not about being privileged and elevated above others, but it is about performing a duty with honour. Leadership is about living up to the trust people put in you. So far I have met two or three true leaders. They believe in what they do, they support the people who work with and for them, they give their mission all their work and free time. But what about the rest? They have families, mortgages, other worries - for them work in a leadership position is an opportunity to secure a well-paying long-term position and to reduce their own workload by delegating it. True leadership cannot be a follow-instruction-behaviour, it has to be driven truly from within.

Another trait of a real leader is her ability to develop herself and create the conditions for others to develop. So far I’ve been fixating on me, me, me and the damage control I need to do without even questioning how I can contribute to the life of others.

Last but not least he talked about developmental mindset vs. judgemental. With a developmental mindset you do not look for somebody to blame, not even yourself, you put yourself in control of a situation and treat it as an opportunity every time.

I’m planning to do the exercise he recommended. I need to set my developmental goals and check on my progress in 6 months. What do I want to change in me to contribute:
  • Myself
  • Others
  • And environment around.



No comments:

Post a Comment